We’re hiring an experienced software engineer to join our Engineering team to lead the future of our Vue and Laravel based applications.
WittyPen is a platform that helps hundreds of businesses get quality content from freelance writers worldwide. We are building features and products to help businesses scale their content creation seamlessly and let content writers earn well from wherever they are in the world. We’re looking for someone to help shape and build the future of our products.
We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our company. WittyPen is committed to building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best and most rewarding work of your career.
About the job
This job is primarily about building new features for our core platform and other products from scratch. But occasionally, you will also spend time fixing bugs and improving the code. We are a small Engineering team (and that’s intentional) with only three people in the Engineering team, (you’d be number four) which means that even though we have our areas of expertise, we all wear many hats.
Also, we tend to not think of our Engineers as mere coders. We want programmers who are good with communication skills (especially writing) and good vocabulary, as it helps with good team communication, iron out bugs and effectively discuss new initiatives. We want programmers who have a knack for solving interesting problems and building beautiful interfaces.
So on a day to day basis, you can expect the following from the job:
- Identify ideal solutions for arising business problems and guide the team to build
- Test, debug and provide feedback on code submitted by other developers
- Improvise code based on research or feedback received
- Tracking technology changes and keeping our applications up-to-date
- Work closely with our CTO to research and lead new initiatives
You will be mostly working with web technologies so if you love working with them, this is THE role for you. Below we have outlined what we expect:
- You have worked with Laravel and Vue.js in the past as part of your work or personal projects.
- Apart from these two languages, we heavily work with MySQL. You should know how to write all sorts of SQL queries and experience with relational databases.
- We also work with REST APIs, and you should know how to create and work with them.
- You have a good understand of various programming paradigms, like MVC, and best practices such as SOLID principles or concepts of refactoring.
- You have experience with Sass/SCSS and Tailwind CSS.
- You have worked with linters and know how to use them.
- You don’t need to be a designer, but you understand good UI design and know when something isn’t at par.
- We are looking for people who have good time management skills, believe in disciplined work and possess leadership qualities.
Pay and benefits
This is a fully remote, full-time (40-hour per week) position, and you can choose your own work hours. You can also choose to work from our office in Pune, once it re-opens. All we ask is for you to be available whenever team activities are scheduled.
The salary for this position is between ₹420,000 - ₹600,000 INR (per annum) based on experience and expertise. We will also pay for any necessary equipment if needed.
We believe in working mostly asynchronously and don’t believe in you being online for a fixed time period every day. We don’t track work hours either. Our only expectation is that the work allocated to you should be completed before deadlines. We are stringent with deadlines.
Our work culture is relaxed as well as fun. You are given complete freedom to explore and experiment with new technologies and initiatives we take. We also do “tech classroom” sessions every once in a while to collectively discuss and better understand the technologies we use. You will be learning a lot of new things, and we intend entirely to learn from you as well!
How to apply
You have to fill up a simple form in the link to apply. Note that this is the only way we are accepting applications for this role.
In the application, tell us not just how you can help us build WittyPen, but also how WittyPen can help you grow. Let us know if you’ve seen our work and like what we do. Do write about any new web technology you like and why. Be honest about yourself and tell us if you don’t know something. If you write things like “I will do anything to make your company a big success”, you will be straightaway rejected.
Keep it sharp, short, and mention things that matter to you. We value great writers, so take your time with the application. We’re giving you our full attention.
And honestly, we are not really interested in resumes. But that doesn’t mean we’re not interested in what you’ve worked on in the past. We’re just leaving it up to you to tell your own story the way you want to tell it.
When applying, write whatever you put together in the “Your Application” field.
Can’t wait to hear from you!